How to Start Your Service

Access the New Account Packet (PDF). In the packet you will find the following:

  • Application for Service - This should be filled out completely. The "Date service to begin" should be the day after your closing date.
  • SmartPay enrollment form (optional)
  • Utility Rate Sheet - For your information (please also see "Utility Rates" in the menu to the left)
  • Cross connection information - For your information, important, please read
  • Lawn Sprinkler Systems Backflow Prevention- For your information, please read
  • Water Quality Report

Applications for service can be submitted in person at the Municipal Services Facility (MSF), electronically through email at or fax at 509-964-5706. Applicants may also submit applications via mail or drop them off at the MFS night drop box located at 3100 Belmont Boulevard West Richland, WA 99353. 

Applicants may also submit applications via mail or drop them off at the MSF night drop box at 3100 Belmont Boulevard West Richland, WA 99353.

Required Documents to Start Service:

  • Signed Application for Service
  • Copy of official photo identification (typically a driver's license).
  • Notarized copy of the proof of ownership (e.g. deed of trust). Note: If you do not have a notarized copy of your deed, our office will try to work with the closing company to obtain a copy.

All required paperwork should be received by the City within 72 hours of closing date.

This process should take approximately 5 to 10 minutes once you get to the counter if you already have all your paperwork completed, signed, and available.

Residential Rental Properties

The City does not put utility bills in a tenant’s name. It is the property owner’s responsibility to contact the City and complete a Utility Billing Agreement for Residential Rental Properties. This agreement authorizes the City to send utility bills directly to the tenant at the property address. The City will not send bills to a tenant at any location other than the premise, including post office boxes. Billing statements sent under this authorization will show an account name of “Owner/Occupant”. Frequently asked questions regarding this agreement can be found here.