- Community Development
- West Richland Shoreline Master Program Periodic Review 2020
West Richland Shoreline Master Program Periodic Review 2020
Interested parties are encouraged to make comments on the proposed SMP amendments. Comments may be sent via email to Eric Mendenhall or to the City at:
3100 Belmont Boulevard
West Richland, 99353
(attn.: SMP UPDATE)
The primary City staff contact for the Shoreline Master Program Periodic Update is Eric Mendenhall.
The City of West Richland is undertaking a periodic review of its Shoreline Master Program (SMP). The Shoreline Management Act (SMA) requires each SMP to be reviewed and revised, if needed, on an eight-year schedule established by the Legislature, in accordance with WAC 173-26-090. The review ensures the SMP stays current with changes in laws and rules, remains consistent with other West Richland plans and regulations, and is responsive to changed circumstances, new information, and improved data.
Needed Updates & Revisions
The current SMP was last updated in 2014. Since then, new state laws, rules, and guidance have been updated which may require amendments to the SMP. The Department of Ecology publishes a checklist of state laws, rules, or other applicable documents published each year that require local governments to review their SMP for conformance. In 2019, the city's consultant, AHBL, reviewed the checklist and identified opportunities for amendments.
Public Involvement Opportunities
Early and continuous public participation is a requirement of the Shoreline Management Act. As part of the City's 2020 SMP Periodic Review, the City has prepared a public participation plan which describes how the public will be informed about and involved in decision making for the SMP update. The City also acknowledges that a variety of stakeholders have particular interests in the City's SMP, such as:
- Business organizations, environmental groups, and other non-governmental organizations
- General public
- Government Agencies
- Native American Tribes
- Owners of property within the shoreline jurisdiction
- Property owners
- Utilities and Transportation
The City has scheduled the following opportunities for the public to engage with City staff and their consultants working on the project.
- Joint Public Hearing - The West Richland Planning Commission and Department of Ecology scheduled a public hearing on October 8, 2020, at 6 pm online, via Zoom. Meeting information can be found on the Planning Commission's page.
- For full details on the ways, the City plans to engage with the public on the 2020 SMP Periodic Review, view the City's 2020 SMP Update Public Participation Plan.
The following is a general schedule for the City's SMP Periodic Review project. The City plans to adopt an amended SMP in the Fall of 2020, following approval from the Department of Ecology. Interested parties are encouraged to make public comments or reach out to the City staff contact with any questions regarding the project.
Anticipated Timeline (Updated September 14, 2020)
- December 6, 2019: Complete Final Public Participation Plan and submit to Ecology
- December 13, 2019: Complete Review of SMP Checklist
- June 17th, 2020: Complete Draft SMP Text/Map Amendments
- June 17, 2020: City solicits early feedback from Ecology
- June 24, 2020: Open House Number 1, Hosted by West Richland staff
- September 17, 2020: Newspaper notice published; Issue SEPA Threshold Determination; City and Ecology joint public comment period begins
- October 8, 2020: Joint Planning Commission/ DOE Public Hearing at 6 pm
- October 19, 2020: Conclusion of public comment period and City responds to public comments
- By November 9, 2020: Complete Final SMP text/map amendments
- By November 9. 2020: Issue City's formal response to public comments
- November 12, 2020: Planning Commission meeting to issue a recommendation on the SMP
- November 13, 2020: Submit an application for "Initial Review/ Determination" to Ecology
- December 1, 2020: City Council SMP Adoption Tentative
- By December 10. 2020: Submit Application for Final Determination from Ecology
- TBD / Expected by end of 2020: Final Ecology Approval